Welcome to Heads Up Nutrition’s Christmas Countdown Nutrition Tips. We will be giving you tips and ideas to keep your diet and lifestyle healthy in the next few weeks, so that you can feel your best and don’t have to battle the bulge in the New Year. If you have any questions or comments along the way, feel free to put them to us!
We’ll start with breakfasts. How you plan your breakfast can make a difference to how you feel for the rest of the day. It’s important to start the day with something that will sustain you throughout the morning and will help to balance your blood sugar. Packet cereals, even those that are marketed as healthy, will inevitably contain large amounts of sugar. This means that after an initial short lived boost in energy, you can be left feeling tired, or still hungry shortly afterwards. The key with breakfasts and all meals, is to eat complex carbohydrates with protein or fat; this will slow the release of sugar into the blood and leave you feeling fuller for longer without having to snack.
Let’s look at some healthy breakfast ideas:
- Eggs – boiled or poached on toasted rye bread
- Rolled oats with coconut milk, chopped nuts and blueberries
- Peanut butter on oatcakes with sliced apple
- Smoothie made with protein powder, nut milk and fruit such as apple, banana or berries
- Scrambled egg and smoked salmon
- Greek yoghurt with fresh raspberries and flaked almonds
- Slice of wholemeal toast, buttered, with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, and topped with pumpkin seeds
By changing just one meal such as breakfast to a healthier choice, you have made a start in aiming towards an optimum diet that can help to support your health, energy levels and weight management, so go on, give it a try!