From Stress to Indigestion, There’s a Tea to Support It!
At this time of year we may be drinking more alcohol than we usually do, or keeping going with more caffeine. Both of these can disrupt blood sugar balance and make us feel tired and irritable, and also place more stress on the liver. Herbal teas are a great option to keep you hydrated throughout the day, and also have beneficial herbal actions. Many people don’t think of trying these instead of regular tea or coffee, but once they do they are usually hooked! Here are some teas to try:
- Peppermint – helps digestion and is great after a meal (particularly Christmas lunch!) or first thing in the morning
- Ginger – is anti-inflammatory, can calm nausea and relieve gas. It is a warming tea and useful for colds with some added lemon and honey
- Cinnamon – a festive spiced tea that can help to balance blood sugar
- Green tea – contains theanine which can have beneficial effects on mood, anxiety and cognitive performance (maybe you could do with some of this to get through the Christmas shopping?!). The alpha waves it promotes can support ‘relaxed concentration’ and leave you less wired than coffee. Some people still might find it too stimulatory before bed however.
- Chamomile – a lovely, calming tea to have before bed
- Valerian – a sedative tea that can be useful to promote sleep at bedtime
- Redbush – can be drunk with or without milk and makes a naturally sweeter and low tannin alternative to regular black tea. It is very antioxidant rich to help support your immune system.
- Lemon balm – great for relieving anxiety and stress